Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A year late but still a wonderful memory

The day Emma Michelle was born
October 22 2010

We had waited patiently for your arrival. We had wanted a baby for so long and the day was finally here. First off getting pregnant with my precious angel took almost 2 years! But we were finally successful. I had a very good pregnancy. The first 18 weeks I was sick as a dog and had morning sickness from sun up to sun down. But other than that it was great. By half way through I had a slipped disk which caused pain but that was fixed. There was no swelling, only gained 27 lbs. I craved COLD M&Ms.

Now to the birth, the exciting part.
We were living in New Mexico at the time. Daddy had been working all sorts of crazy shifts for work in the USAF. He was at work when I first thought I felt something happening. That was at 3 am. I sat and kept track to what was going on and called Daddy at work at 7 am. Thats when things started to become kind of regular.

When I called the guy who answered was being a little snot and gave me attitude. He said “hes on the flight line and cant talk” I told him “well can you tell him that his wife called and said that I think I'm in labor” he promptly hung up and RAN out to Daddy to tell him. When Daddy called back I told him to take his time.

He came home around 8 am. I called grandparents to let them know what was going on around then too.

Daddy was tired because he had been up 24 + hours so I let him sleep while I tracked my contractions. He woke up to track them for me while I took a shower. My contractions never got regular or intense. Around noon Daddy got a tingly daddy sense that it was time to go. So we loaded up the car and headed out. We checked in at about 12:30. The nurse thought that I was not in enough pain and that since it was the first time that she would be sending me home. When she checked me though she was surprised to find me at 8 cm! She said “youre not going anywhere this baby is coming”

My water broke around 1 pm.

They filled up the birthing tub and I climbed in around 1:30. By this point the contractions were hurting just a little bit so it helped out. Around 3 pm it was time to push. You however did not want to be born in the water. We tried over ten different positions to try and get you here but you played peek a boo, you would start to crown then go back in.

We moved to the bed and tried around five more positions, finally we found one that worked. I was squatting and tugging on a sheet that was wrapped around a bar and daddy was pulling the other end. So tug of war. My contractions were still no where regular at all. After 2 hours of pushing you finally made your arrival at 5:15 pm. Beautiful and precious. I held you for the first hour before they took you to weigh you. I enjoyed the skin to skin contact. You breastfed within 2 minutes of being put onto my chest. Daddy cut your umbilical cord.

No drugs, no IV, just the way nature intended. It was a wonderful birth experience and I am glad that I was coherent for it all. You are my precious angel.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it!!!! I pushed for 2 straight hours with Bradley and the "push/pull" method is what finally worked for me too!!!

    ReplyDelete